Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Day In The Past


We took a ride a few weeks ago to the Northwest side of Chicago and visited the neighborhood where I lived until I was almost 7 years old.  This is my first school on the same block where I lived.  It's quite a contrast from the next one I would attend--a one room rural country school that we would often walk several miles  to get to.

My parents owned this building in which we lived above the first floor grocery store they operated.
In 1949, we left Chicago to start a new life on a rural chicken farm where I was able to develop the adventurous spirit I now have.

My grandparents lived in this house one block from my first home.

A visit to the old cemetery took us to my grandparents graves.


Maternal grandparents

                                                       Paternal grandparents  

It's hard to visit the old neighborhood without a visit to the Superdawg, one of Chicago's original remaining hot dog stands.

                           My sister, Jackie, and cousin, Marilyn, were along on this trip.

The 50's drive-in atmosphere is still present today.


This place began as a small cart on wheels in this same location.


                                      It's still run by the same family and hasn't changed much in years.


Every meal comes in a nice box.


Judy, my sister and Marilyn ready to dig in.

If you followed along with us on our Maritime trip, you know that Judy is an expert at eating this type of meal.



No comments: